Wednesday 1 April 2009

Self Evaluation

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Throughtout this modual i have really kept to hand crafting and less digital work. this for me is where my strengths lie so i this modual has really helped me explore that and i have looked at more materials and techniques i can use, e.g. i used soldering for the first time which was really good fun and now something i can use whenever i need to.

I have also used techniques that we looked at when making the books, i felt it was apporpriate to present some of my work in book format and was able to do this from previous sessions.

Also when we had the photography and lighting session i was able to experiment more with this, maybe more so than some of the others, as i had access to the studios for my photography elective.


What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I think i have alwasy been quite good when it comes to research, i am always updating my blog with interesitng designes, but i think this modual has encouraged me more to use the reseach i have found alongsied what i am doing, referencing back to different designes or techniques, which has maby kept me quite closed in terms of what i have looked at but i feel i have explored what i do have more than i would normally.

When looking throught magazines or at posters, i have started to notice now the visual language used, expecially at the signs and symbols used. it took me a while to grasp the simplicity of the symbols that we were doing, so seeing example outside of the classroom was useful for me to simply understand it better.


What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I honestly feel that one of my strengths is my research and my blog, i am constantly adding things relevant to my work aswell as things that simply interest me, looking throught other peoples blogs, on the corse or otherwise, can show up some interesting sites, or designers that in turn could help me. this will be an ongoing process through my Degree.

Another strength would be my photography work, at the beginning of the year i had sort of abandoned my camera, but now im getting back into it and if nothing else, can document my work in a very professional way that can be put on my blog or used in my prtfolio.


What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

one major weekness that i have discovered is that i do all this research, and get it on my blog and in my portfolio, but then i sometimes leave it at that, instead of developing my ideas from what i already have and the inspiration i now have, i tend to leave it and go back to it later. i thnk this is less about time managment and more about me realiseing the amount of work needed.

When we have been looking at sumbols and pictograms i have been really interested in lesson and been sucessful with what i produce and understand but very rarely apply these to what i am doing in other moduals or my work. this is something that i need to sort out. i understand how it can be applyed to other areas but i never actually apply it!


Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1
i will deffinalty try and apply the techniques that we have learned in other lessons/moduals to work i am currently doing, they are tought to us for a reason so i must try harder to involve them

2 i think i need to start sticking to one project at a time when im working on it, i tend to flutter across all my work and therefore forget to do things or loose interest. so when i do wright myself a time table i need to make sure i stick to it.

3 i need to be more confident in my work. sometimes it can be quite intimidating and so sometimes when i should ask for someones opinion, i tend not to and just keep sturggling. when i have struck a design block all i really need is someone to tell me what they think, so that i can develop it further.


How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’)

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor


Attendance 5

Punctuality 4

Motivation 4

Commitment 3

Quantity of work produced 3

Quality of work produced 4

Contribution to the group 3



No comments: